Records can be disposed of when they are no longer required for undertaking the business of the organisation (i.e. you have checked and confirmed that they are not required by business units for ongoing business).
You should also check:
- the records are not required for legal proceedings, an application for access, or other inquiries
- destruction of the records is permitted or approved in accordance with the requirements of the relevant authorities
- the records are no longer required to be retained to fulfil any other statutory and regulatory requirements for retention
- there is documentation identifying which records have been destroyed, when they were destroyed, how they were destroyed and under what authority, and
- the records have been destroyed in an appropriate manner.